We’re in a new ballroom!! We are in the process of completing a few remaining construction items, but is 99% complete!
What if I miss a class? Or what if I can’t commit to a particular day for the whole lesson series? Making up classes is super easy — all of our Swing 1 and Sweetheart Swing 1 classes run the same content at the same time. So if you miss a class, you can join a Swing 1 or Sweetheart 1 class happening on another day of the week. For example, if you need to miss your Wednesday Swing 1 class, you can plan ahead to make it up the Monday before, or hop in the upcoming Sunday. This is also good if a particular day of the week generally works for you, but every so often you won’t be able to make it that day. We do this so your busy schedule won’t keep you from dancing! All we ask is that you please let your instructors know ahead of time if you’re missing their class and attending a make-up class (so they can inform other staff).
Tap, solo jazz, Carribean, African, and Balboa often won’t have simultaneously running classes, so you will likely be out of luck for that missed class.
Rates include GST but are cash or cheque only after lesson one of a series. Please see the instructors prior to the lesson to introduce yourself and to pay. Exact change if possible! The rates are as follows:
- $20 for 1hr classes
- $25 for 1.25hr classes
- $30 for 1-1/2hr classes
- No discounts for students or members.
- Live Music classes are +$10
- African drop-in during Live Music is $30
The drop-in rate applies to ALL cases where a dance student cannot make a full series. If possible, please register for the entire series to receive a huge discount!
Disclaimer: it’s not recommended to drop-in to a level 1 series after missing the 1st lesson – the instructors will do the best to accommodate, but since lesson 2 onward builds on lesson 1, it’s typically hard to catch up. But if it’s your only choice, go for it.
Do you offer a punch card?
Unfortunately we do not, sorry! However, you can see the drop-in rates available if you prefer that route.
Do I need to get tickets in advance? No, for most events you can just get them at the door. A few times a year we’ll have events where you have to buy tickets in advance (New Year’s Eve, Summer Solstice, etc.), but if that’s the case we’ll make it very clear.
Do you accept debit/credit at the door? Yes!
Is there a bar? We have the delightful Corner Pocket Cafe just off the dance floor. We generally don’t serve alcohol at our events. However, we do serve a variety of lovely caffienated drinks plus the usual pop and water fare. Cash only at the cafe, and it opens up after the drop-in lesson.
What’s the dress code? The dress code varies depending on the night. Thursdays and Fridays tend to be more casual (unless we’re doing a particular theme night), while lots of people like to dress up for Saturdays. If there’s a theme, we’ll specify it in the event details on Facebook. If you have vintage clothes you’ve been dying to wear, go for it. If you dress up a little, like if you were going to a nice restaurant, it’s a safe bet!
What kind of shoes should I wear? Shoes that are comfortable to move around in. Whatever you typically wear — most shoes are fine. High heels might be tricky to dance in, though a sturdy/kitten heel works. No stilettos please! They put marks in our floor.
Do I need to bring a partner? Not at all! We rotate partners throughout our drop-in lesson, so you end up dancing with a few different people. In the swing dance scene, it’s actually the norm for people not to have a dedicated partner. We treat it as a very social activity, where different people ask each other to dance from song to song. If you came with a special someone, it’s fine if you want to stick with them.
Where can I park? We have a small parking lot at our venue, and there’s lots of street parking in the neighbourhood.
Can I bring my kids? For all dry events — which are most of them — kids are welcome! Adults tend to get the most out of our dance socials, which have a more “club” vibe. However, if you think your child could get into swing music and dancing, bring ’em along! Babies have also made appearances at the ballroom, though it’s recommended they have ear protection.
Feeling a little nervous…No pressure! We’re very beginner-friendly, and generally you’ll find yourself among lots of other new people. You can participate as much or as little as you like, depending on your mood! We have a nice little cafe/lounge area if you just want to sip a latte and take it all in.
What’s the best way to find out what’s going on? Besides our Event Calendar, our Sugar Swing Events Facebook group puts out a weekly “digest” that describes in detail the lineup of events for a particular weekend. Here is where you’ll get more info on particular themes and special features (wine and cheese nights, live music nights, performances, etc.)
If you take a class from us, Sugar Swing wants your needs and goals to be met: we provide a great place for learning and socializing, and you don’t need to bring a partner. Instead of being treated as ‘just another student’, we will take the time to be personal with you!
From beginner to advanced, Sugar Swing offers classes for your level. It’s a perfect setup: typically 1 hour 10 minutes per lesson for 4 lessons – and that’s it! Or take the full 12 week program for a more comprehensive experience.
It is a partnered dance, similar to salsa, waltz, polka, and other ballroom dances. It is a genre of dance, meaning that there are several types of swing dance such as Jive, Lindy Hop, or Charleston. It is typically danced to 1930’s jazz music, but dancers always deviate and dance to music from the 1920’s through to today.
The best way to check out swing dancing is through our youtube channel.
Why do people swing dance?
There are many reasons why you would want to swing dance!
- Lots of people to see and meet
- Good exercise while being super fun
- The music makes your heart happy and your feet want to dance
- Achieve something – has dancing always been a weakness?
- Love to learn – Lindy Hop always offers something unique and new to learn!
- Swing dancing (especially Lindy Hop) has become a very diverse and matured art form. There are swing dance clubs in practically every major city – some are small, others are large. In fact, many dancers go on excursions to other cities to do workshops or just socialize and explore that city’s swing dance scene.
The annual cost of a membership is $30, and immediately you may apply the membership discounts of $10 off all classes and discounts on every Sugar Swing event. You also gain access to an extensive video library of lessons, clips, class summaries. Please see our membership page for more details and to purchase.
We cap enrollment for a class at 32 students. We believe that having smaller class sizes will allow the instructors to solidify ideas, keep the classes running smoothly, and create a strong learning environment. Occasionally we’ll let more students into the class, but please understand that we will only do so if we believe it is a good idea.
No partner required! What? How does this work? First, we rotate leads and follows (ie, guys and girls) in class. Secondly, enrollment ensures we don’t have more than a couple people out of rotation. Finally, if there is a shortage, the instructors themselves will become part of the rotation.
You have a partner and want to learn and dance with them? Do not worry — we skew the rotation timing so that you end up spending more time with your partner. If you are absolutely against this, then it’s ok, you can stay with your partner.
Have a Partner?
Our Sweetheart Swing class is the exception to the norm. Don’t rotate and just stay with that special someone for the entire class series!
All our other classes, though, are rotating by default. If we have enough people in the class, we can make exceptions. Please contact us or read our Beginner Swing page for more info.
Activity, Shoes, Clothing, Etcetera
Although swing dancing can be a workout, the lessons are not overly tiring. We teach material you can social dance with and really enjoy – nothing really fast, no crazy aerials, or anything dangerous.
Footwear: mobility, comfortable, and not too sticky (rubbery soles). High heels might be tricky to dance in, though a sturdy/kitten heel is fine. No stilettos please! They put marks in our floor.
Clothing: wear whatever you would for going out in public. As long as you’re clean and not unsightly, you will be fine.
Good hygiene is encouraged: this cuts down on illnesses, and your partner will appreciate minty.
Payments and Refunds
All sales of Sugar Swing are considered final. No refunds, no exceptions.
The following summarizes the most important points of our Payments and Refunds policy. A copy of our full Payments and Refunds policy may be made available upon request. Please see Contact.
- Partial credit, redeemable only at Sugar Swing, may be issued for partial use of a package or class.
- Regarding weekly classes, full credit may be issued for advance payments, so long as the 1st class of either a class series (4, 5, or 6 weeks typically) or class package (10-20 weeks or 2-4 parts; typically 12 weeks and 3 parts) has not started. Once a class series or class package has started, only partial credit may be claimed.
- Postponing and switching to a different class with a program may be possible, with a $20-$30 administration fee. Please see Contact.
- All membership sales are considered final from time and date of payment. Memberships are valid for one calendar year from date of payment.
- Workshops, competitions, festivals, events with admission of $25 or more, and dance exchanges are considered to be a special event. Sales are considered final, no refunds available.
- In some cases, partial credits minus the administration fee may be made available depending on the timing of price breaks, event date, purchase date, and sale amount. Please contact us regarding your case to claim a credit.
- Workshops and exchanges including Summer Solstice, Lindy Harvest, Sweet Bal Jam, Madam Jazz:
- A full refund may be provided if the transaction was made less than 48hrs before
- Credit minus 20% restocking fee may be provided after 24hrs of the transaction
Other Products and Services
- All other products and services including: Weekly dance event admissions, private lessons, group lessons, merchandise sales, and all other services provided by Sugar Swing are final sale; no refunds, exchanges, or credits may be issued.
- In claiming a credit, a 20% or $20 minimum (whichever is higher) administration fee will be applied against the credit to be issued.
- Credits may be applied to any class series, dance, workshop, event, product, or service solely organized by Sugar Swing. You may also apply the credit as a gift card and either sell or gift it to a friend.
- To claim credit, please contact us.
Disputes, comments, and inquiries may be forwarded to our Office Administration. Please see Contact.
Aerials & Air Steps
Due to several reasons (risk of injury, requirement of a partner, requirements of rhythme, strength, and skill), we do not teach aerials in our beginner-level classes. Occasionally we will teach an aerials class to intermediate-level students.