Sugar Swing offers a variety of exciting and fun dance activities through swing and jazz dance! We can help you with you with the curriculum requirements and make your phys. ed. class excited about dancing.
Julie and Birkley, your instructors, are both happy to work either independently or together, though we’ve found it best (especially for any partnered work) if we come together. We are available during the weekdays, though please book ahead.
Jive is well-known throughout the country, and is taught & danced socially in schools, studios, and at weddings. We teach the basics and beyond!
Jazz (Traditional and Funk)
Jazz dance is timeless yet ever-changing. We use traditional steps that can be easily learned and applied to big band, funk and modern jazz music.
Example activities: Shim Sham jazz routine, create-your-own-dance-move session, animal-like jazz moves
Dance is an interactive activity that can be taught with specific outcomes in mind. We understand your needs to fulfill your program requirements, which is why we will customize our lessons to accomplish your A, B, C, D outcome needs!
We can cover any grade levels K-12, whether it be partnered, solo, line dance, or learning rhythm.
For the junior and senior high levels, our focus would be directed towards jive and partner dancing, as well as solo jazz and routines.
Our focus for grades K-6 would be modified to fit the curriculum suggestions, with specific emphasis on solo/line dancing or rhythm exercises.
Victoria School of the Arts
- Choreographed and taught three Grade 6 classes a full swing-era jazz routine with some partner work.
- Featured for the centennial celebration of Victoria School and their year-end recital
- Taught an original jazz routine, the Lindy Hopper’s “Shim Sham Shimmy” to two groups of Grade 4 classes. Featured for their year-end recital.
Jamie Platz YMCA
- Taught four 1-hour dance classes as part of their seasonal children’s day camps. Involved 60-75 children per session between Grade 1 and 6.
Brookeside Elementary School
- Choreographed and taught two routines for two Grade 4 classes. A 1950’s and a 1960’s styled jazz routine.
- Featured for the centennial celebration of Brookeside School.
Bev Facey Community High School
- Taught two dance classes for a graduating grade 12 class during their lunch hour.
Pricing & Options
Pricing will vary depending on several factors: location, choreography required (prep work), length of classes, and number of sessions requested. We are reasonable with our pricing and are willing to work with your budget if that should be an issue!
Referral Discount: 10%
Help us arrange more lessons with other Phys Ed teachers, or if you were referred, and you will receive this discount!
We also offer lessons for teachers, either private or group. Why not brush up on your dancing skills so you can get from point A to D?